Friday, August 04, 2006

Body and Christianity

The body has traditionally been excluded from theological dialog. Perhaps as a result of Gnosticism, Christian embodiment became almost a hindrance to the faith. The body was a barrier to true spirituality. We worship God almost exclusively with our minds.

I wish that, in my daily life, I could know better how to worship God in different ways. I have recently contemplated integrating religious icons and pictures into my devotionals as a means of being less of a text-limited Christian. I crave something new spiritually and I want it in a form that affects my senses.

During college I ran the 400 and 800 meters for the track and field team. I was also involved in a group called Athletes in Action, which is a Christian student organization for athletes. During that time I learned a lot about how I can worship God as I run. For me running could become a deeply spiritual act because I could visualize Jesus cheering me on (I know it may sound cheesy). But I took my mental beliefs - like God loves me no matter how well I perform - and applied it to my running.

Paul wrote in Romans 12:1, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship." We are clearly meant to embody our spirituality. What does that mean in terms of what posture we should take when we pray? What about when we sing? Can we bring God into our most physical acts - like exercise, eating, or sex? I believe that faith in God should change how we should live and act in this world.

No comments: