Friday, February 23, 2007

I'm So Left Brained

I first must warn you this is hardly profound or insightful (am I ever??) but you may get a kick out of it all anyways.

So in my neuropsychology class it had been suggested that people have assymetrical facial expressions. I just reviewed about 20 pictures of me and I am now convinced that the right side of my face is more expressive than my left. I have a "good side." And if I remember right, facial expressions are contralateral (but it could be ipsilateral) and so this is just confirmation that I am left-brained (logical).

If you want to test this out go to my profile and look at my picture (my right side is on the left in the picture). If you can't tell by my smile then look at the creases in my cheek.

Actually this may explain why I think I look better in pictures than I do in the mirror. In pictures my right side of my face is on the left side but in the mirror my right side is on the right side. Now our right hemisphere processes facial expressions better than our left hemisphere. And since the left visual field (which would see the right side of my face in pictures) connects with the right hemisphere, it would make sense that I would appear happier and better looking in pictures than in the mirror. Haha - this all must sound so vain!!! Well I found it interesting and so you may too.

I should not I just watched A Scanner Darkly, a Philip K. Dick novel turned movie, that talks about split brain stuff which sorta triggered my desire to check this out for myself.

3 comments:

Jeff Keys said...

That is pretty interesting. I can just imagine you staring into the mirror making faces. I always thought that too. When I looked in the mirror there was a side of my face that I did not like as much and I thought it looked wierd as a reflection, but as a picture it was fine. The Scanner Darkly could probably tigger all kinds of crazy psychological thought. You should check out the Illusionist. Good movie.

Curt said...

I saw the Illusionist a few weeks ago. Blockbuster Online is a good thing.

Jeff Keys said...

That was a good movie. Edward Norton is a good actor.