Thursday, April 19, 2007

Intellectual Surrender

When two intelligent, faithful people hold two opposite positions, what are we to make of it? Do we consider that one is right and one is wrong? Do we think that both may be right? or both wrong? How does it shape the way we see our own opinions?

Sometimes I have to forcefully bend my mind to recognize the point of view of other people. I actually have to remind myself, "This is an intelligent person who knows a lot about what they are talking about." So I can empathize with anyone who has difficulty in seeing a problem from another person's view. Whether it be spouses, siblings, friends, or neighbors, we all find ourselves making different conclusions about the world around us.

When faced with the possibility of being wrong we can become defensive and angry. But this shuts out new knowledge to correct us. I think we need to learn the practice of intellectual surrender. We just need to admit that the other person could be right. That is sometimes all it takes to see we are in the wrong. But at the very least, that humility puts us in the position to be understanding and care for the other person's feelings.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I thought this would be an appropriate place to respond to your thoughts on my blog, as a model of two intelligent people from different viewpoints in conversation. Thanks for your thoughts. I especially agree about all relationships being subject to distortion. Just because I'm dropping myspace, you shouldn't feel like you failed to convince me. There are other factors and it's not all a rational process. I plan to post in the near future and I will include a (hopefully) more comprehensive and cogent response to your comments, in the spirit of constructive dialogue. I appreciate your insight and comments. Peace.