Wednesday, August 23, 2006

On Journaling

Some Christians scoff at the idea of journaling. Or maybe I should just say it: I used to scoff at the idea. But over the last year I have gained a lot as a result of writing. And I used to think that journaling wouldn't do anything for me. But a friend of mine told me how he faithfully journaled and I decided to try it out. If I ever have something that I am angry about and I decide to write down the areas where I'm wrong - let's just say it's a humbling experience.

But what makes journaling an effective way to grow in faith? First of all, I believe that writing down your ideas firms them up. When you write something down you have to think a little bit more and make sure it makes sense. Secondly, when you write something down - it's there as a fact. Unlike thoughts and prayers that might pop in your head then you quickly forgot what you thought, your words on paper are recorded and not so easily forgotten. Thirdly, when you write something down it is easier to realize how ridiculous it is. You gain objectivity when you write.

So there it is. Journaling firms up your ideas, records them so they won't be lost, and allows your thoughts to be judged more clearly. Plus I just feel like I care about my spiritual growth more when I journal so maybe it's partially just a morale boost. But that's not to say it can't be done wrong. In fact, I've looked at my journal from childhood and let's just say it is a little bit disturbing. But instead of telling you what not to do, here are my quick tips on what to do.

Quick tips to improve your journaling:
* write about God but admit when you doubt his presence or his goodness
* write about your anger but focus on where you are wrong
* write about your fears but focus on why you are afraid
* write about your sins but don't focus on making yourself feel bad over it
* write about your passions but acknowledge God's sovereignity and will
* draw
* write poetry
* if you don't know what to write then just write that

I don't write everyday. I usually write just when something is wrong (usually that something wrong is me). But writing typically makes me feel better. And while blogs can be a good place for me to develop my thoughts, I really grow as a person when I journal privately and allow myself greater freedom to express myself. So I suggest that you try journaling the next time you feel bothered or afraid or excited... you might just find it to be a time where you can grow.

No comments: