Sunday, March 12, 2006

Saved is a Verb not a Noun

I read something in Modern Psychotherapies by Jones and Butman that I really connected with. I've thought about it before but I like the way they say it, in paraphrasing the work of White:
Salvation is biblically more than a one-shot harvesting of the ephemeral souls of the believers in one instantaneous conversion. Biblically, salvation refers to the healing and restoration of wholeness to the entire lives of believers, though especially in their relationship with God (White, 1984).
The reason I like this is because I am becoming more and more appreciative of the knowledge that I am not "saved" but I am being saved. I am in the process of restoration of wholeness to my entire life. I'm a work in progress.

This is where the focus on forgiveness of sins falls short. The cliche that goes, "Christians aren't perfect, they're just forgiven," suddenly sounds hollow and meaningless. I believe in a faith where I receive much more than forgiveness. I receive restoration of my entire being.

1 comment:

Curt said...

Or like that guy in Waterboy says: "You can do it!" I think I'll let the cleverly written spam stay...
This stuff is very cognitive behavioral so I suppose it fits for my website.