Thursday, January 04, 2007

Disabled

I started classes again yesterday. Dr. Brown, my neuropsychology professor, shared that his thinking on disability was that it is a range rather than a category. From that perspective we are all disabled to some extent. For example, I wear glasses and thus am disabled in vision. While some people are more disabled in some areas than others, we can all relate to the experience of not being able to do something that we would like to do. (As a side note, I have frustrations with people who believe that all we have to do is put our mind to it and we can do it - we all have our limits.)

Being disabled I have to remind myself of two key ideas. The first is that I must rely on others to meet many of my needs. Regarding my nearsightedness, I have to rely on an optometrist to give me the right prescription, the eye glass store to have fashionable glasses, and insurance to help pay for it. We all have to accept that we need others to some degree in order to survive. More generally I need to remind myself that I need to search out counsel, support, knowledge, and direction in the ways that I choose to live my life.

The second related idea is that others are relying on me. Given that I have physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual handicaps, I need to accept that others will have them too and will be looking to me to bear with their disabilities and help in any way I can. Understanding that when others are a burden it is not their choice reminds me to be patient, generous, and kind. So let's remember to be united with one another and love one another.

No comments: