Saturday, January 13, 2007

Responsibility

In my History and Systems of Psychology class we were given a scenario where we were asked whether or not we should take responsibility for the ways in which psychology has been used to abuse others. At first I had some trouble understanding so here's an example that helped me:
A client comes in and says their last therapist was verbally abusive. As a therapist myself do I see myself as connected to all other therapists as a member of that group? Do I therefore apologize to the client because I am "one" with that other therapist? Will the client hold me somewhat responsible (unconsciously) simply because I am a therapist?

I know that sometimes I take too much responsibility for things that occur. Just because I am mean to someone does not mean that I cause their reaction - but I nevertheless can think that way. But is taking responsibility for the actions of other people healthy? Should I apologize for being a man because men have done awful things? Should I apologize for being white because white people have done awful things?

I think the answer is a tentative yes. As a member of a group - whether voluntarily or not - I am connected with the other members of my group. People will therefore see me as being "one of them" and an apology can be useful for accepting that stereotyping people together is just a part of human nature. I need to accept that everybody places other people into groups and makes assumptions about them. We are not isolated from our group identity.

However, I recognize that I am not fully connected with people in my group and am thus autonomous and independent. It is not right for me to distrust all people of one group just because one member has done me wrong. I accept that one person holds the final responsibility. So while I am willing to accept that others will hold me responsible for what members of my groups have done - from other Christians, other psychologists, other men, other whites, other tall people, etc - I hope that I will be judged in the end for my own actions and for how I have shaped the groups I find myself in.

No comments: