Friday, September 01, 2006

Heart and Mind

The heart and mind are often presented as diametrically opposed. We either act out of our heart, impulsively, or out of our mind, rationally. At least that was what I was taught. I have always thought that I had to either act out of my heart, and risk doing something foolish but enjoy life more, or act out of my head, and risk losing my zeal for life but be able to play it safe. But is this the way that it has to be?

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind." (Luke 10:27) All heart and all mind. Isn't that the way it should be? Shouldn't we passionately follow our dreams in a logical and well-planned manner?

I believe that most people think that following your heart means doing something impulsive and perhaps even dumb. If that is the case then heart and mind really are opposites. But if following your heart actually means bringing all emotions into your life, then rationality is by no means excluded. In fact, mindful consideration of God's truth can actually produce a variety of emotional expressions, such as joy over salvation, sorrow over sin, laughter over our lives, and resoluteness about our desires.

I am thankful that the gospel once again proves to be greater than anything imaginable: that we are encouraged to be fully human in our pursuit of God.

No comments: