Friday, September 29, 2006

On Dreams Part 3 of 3

Now that I have given a background to dreams, I would like to share what I feel is the significance of dreams. Dreams are spiritual. Freud was right when he said that the repressed unconscious escapes during dreams. In our dreams we see that there is another level to the world that we cannot experience with our five senses. Dreams tell us that we experience the world with our hearts as well.

First I will begin with a dream that I had 2 weeks ago. In this dream I was counting the days that a certain person had been alive. A wolf then came and I had to jump onto the roof. The rest of the dream I could not remember. Interestingly, the day before this dream I had been feeling slightly guilty that I had not bought this person a gift for his birthday. For me, it seemed like the dream was telling me that I was being chased by guilt (the wolf). So as a result of this dream I bought my friend a present and no longer had to be bothered by the guilt.

This was not a life-changing dream. But it was the first dream that I had ever spent time to interpret. I was pretty surprised to find that dreams could actually be useful for improving my life. Since then I have had other dreams that during the dream felt absolutely bizarre but when I spent some time interpreting them actually seemed to have some meaning behind them. For years I had never taken much notice of my dreams but now I see that there is great purpose to them.

So I challenge you to start writing a dream journal. When you wake up from a dream write down everything you can remember about the dream. Just keep a pen and paper next to your bed and before you do anything write down your dream. At first it may be difficult to remember your dream but over time you will get better and better at it. You may even gain the ability to control what happens in your dreams. I also encourage you to think about what the elements of the dream might mean. The best person to interpret your dream is typically you (though not always) because where your mind wanders as you think about your dream is perhaps the best indicator of what each element means.

Sweet dreams.

No comments: