Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Carry your electric chair

Originally posted January 30th, 2005.

Matthew 18:24-26
24Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. 26What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Now I'm not typically the type that tosses scripture around, because I think people often misuse verses, but I heard a sermon on this one and felt it was worth sharing primarily because the verse has become a tad trite but behind it is something truly profound. But let's remind ourselves that "the cross" was not a religious symbol for the 1st century Palestinian Jew. Crucifixion was reserved for insurrectionists and the vilest of criminals and so any association with it, prior to Christ, hinted that you were amongst the worst of the people. The Romans would occasionally crucify thousands of revolutionaries as a public spectacle of anyone that might try to usurp their power. It was very public and for the Jews it was especially heinous because they believe that anyone who "hung from a tree" carried a curse on them.

So why did Jesus say this? I believe that rather than trying to encourage his disciples to endure the rough times in their life, as it commonly used today, he said this in order to inform them of the great embarassment they must suffer as they follow him. This great embarassment is universal to all Christians - it is essentially saying that I am no good at living at my own life so I'm going to live it like Christ did. Admitting that we have done some terrible and vile things in our life. Yes that's embarassing! Why? Because who wants to admit that they are screwing up their lives everyday? Who wants to admit that God is not just a crutch but a wheelchair... and that we are crippled. I know it's not in my nature to do that.

But the truly staggering conclusion that every Christian makes (and continues to make, hopefully) is ... yes, I'm that messed up. I sin that much and I've hurt others that badly. And the "gospel," or the good news in English, is simply that God has readily forgiven us in some spiritual way that we can hardly comprehend through Jesus' execution. But much more than that: God promises us that when we deny the life we were living, we will find it!

I dunno maybe I'm coming off as some high minded preacher who doesn't understand much. But one thing I do understand is that in accepting my faults, rather than hiding them, I have found the freedom to live a "holy" life... and it's not about bible studies or rules and regulations... it's about finding hope and joy and faith and love. That's what I have found and I'd be a fool to let loose of my grip on it. (But I'm a fool so don't expect too much out of me)

No comments: